General Rules for Sports Betting
Introduction to Rules
We pride ourselves on our customer service and our commitment to operating our business fairly and in a responsible way. All transactions and bets placed with Ladbrokes are covered by our rules. Changes to our rules will be communicated to you on our website.
You must exercise your own judgement in choosing to place a bet. You acknowledge that, in placing your bet, you are not relying on any statement of any employee of Ladbrokes relating to the subject matter of the bet. The terms of your bet may only be varied by oral or written notice given by an authorised representative of Ladbrokes. Ladbrokes reserves the right to refuse part or all of a bet.
General Rules cover all sports, but are superseded by any rules specific to individual sports.
"All In" or "All in Play or Not"
"All in" or "All in play or not" markets are markets that have been priced up to reflect the fact that the selection may not take any part in the event. Therefore if your selection does not play, or take part in the event, your bet will stand as a loser.
Acceptance and Validation of Bets
Bets can only be placed on the outcome of a future event or race, unless we are offering special ‘betting in-running prices’ for that event or race. If Ladbrokes mistakenly accepts a bet for an event that has already started then the bet will be void and your stake returned, except in the following circumstances:
- Where bets are taken after the start of an event, bets will stand if nothing has happened which would significantly alter the chances of the selection winning or losing.
- In the case of football matches, bets will be valid if they are placed within five minutes of kick-off, providing there has been no score in the match or no player has been sent off. If a player has been sent off or there has been a goal, or a penalty has been awarded but not yet taken, then the bet will be void and the stake returned.
All bets placed after the result of an event is known will be void win or lose.
Late Bets via Internet and Telephone Betting
Internet bets include bets placed on any of our remote channels such as Digital TV and WAP. In the case of such bets, the bet is struck when a bet id or receipt exists in our back end systems or database.
- In the case of Horse Racing, we would allow a horse bet to stand (win or lose) if only a small part of the race had elapsed and if no significant event had occurred, such as a horse falling or refusing to race.
Late Bets in our Ladbrokes Shops
- In the case of horse races, where our EPOS systems record an automatic “no more bets time”, if a bet is taken after the start of an event it will still be valid if it is placed before the automatic “no more bets time”. For horse races of less than one mile, the automatic “no more bets time” is set at 10 seconds after the actual start of the race. For horse races of a mile or greater, the automatic “no more bets time” is set at 20 seconds after the actual start of the race. Please note, for customers betting in shops in Ireland on races of 2 miles or greater the automatic "no more bets" time is set at 30 seconds after the actual start of the race.
- In the case of dog and virtual races, where our EPOS systems record an automatic “no more bets time”, if a bet is taken after the start of an event it will still be valid if it is placed before the automatic “no more bets time”. For dog and virtual races, the automatic “no more bets time” is set at 2 seconds after the actual start of the race.
Ladbrokes has the right to recover from you any amount overpaid and has your authority to adjust your account to reflect the true outcome and rectify the mistake. An example of such a mistake might be where a price is incorrect Acceptance and Validation of Bets) or where we enter a result of an event incorrectly.
Ante Post Bets
Ante Post bets are accepted on the basis of ‘all in’, whether the horse or selection participates or not. This means that if the horse or selection does not run or participate in the race/event named, the bet is a loser. This applies even if the selection was not entered in the race, as long as there was the possibility that it could have been entered at a later stage.
Ante-Post Horse Racing
Unless advertised differently ante-post bets will be declared void in the following circumstances:
the race is abandoned and does not take place at a later date at the same venue;
- the race is declared void;
- the race is moved to a different venue;
- the selection is balloted out;
- the selection was ineligible for the race at the time the bet was struck. For example, if after all entry stages have been closed, a bet has been struck on a runner who is not in the list of entries then the bet will be considered void;
- it is not possible for the selection to win at the time the bet was struck, for example the horse is dead;
- the ante-post bet is offered "with a run" which is a specific ante-post bet where stakes are not lost on the non-running horse.
Postponed Race(s)/Meetings - Race(S) Run Another Day
All Ante-Post Bets Placed Before Final Declaration Stage
Bets will stand if the race is run on a later date at the same venue.
All Bets Placed After Final Declaration Stage.
If a bet is placed after the final declarations, but the race is postponed to another day, all bets will be void.
Each-Way Ante Post bets are settled according to the Each-Way terms advertised at the time the bet was placed. Ante Post selections can be included in most types of bets, including our range of speciality bets. However, any built-in bonuses and consolations specific to certain speciality bets (such as double the odds one winner on a Lucky 15/31/63 bet will not apply.
Betting In Play
Bet in Play is available on a number of live events. Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the prices quoted are correct, the nature of live betting (i.e. constantly changing prices), means that on occasion, the price may have changed by the time the bet is placed. The correct price at the time the bet is accepted will be used to settle the bet.
Customers should be aware that certain 'live' feeds, be they on TV, radio or the internet are subject to delays and might be watching an event slightly behind or slightly ahead of other users. This includes live streaming provided by Ladbrokes.
A 'delay' is placed on all betting in play bets, the length of which varies depending on the sport.
As indicated in the Errors section, any live scores or clocks displayed on the site during a bet in play event are for guidance purposes only, and although we make every effort to ensure that this information is accurate, Ladbrokes accepts no liability should the displayed information be listed incorrectly.
A dead heat in horse racing is when two or more runners finish tied for the same place in any race.
An example of this may be when two selections cannot be split by a photo finish and the course would determine both selections as the winner.
In order to calculate your returns in the event of a dead heat, you would need to divide your total stake by the number of selections which finished "tied", and then multiply by the odds at which the bet was placed.
If you wish to make a query or complaint, as a first step you should as soon as reasonably practicable contact the shop’s Duty Manager if it is regarding a shop, or our Customer Support Team for any non-shop related points, for assistance. If you are unable to resolve your query satisfactorily with our shop manager you should then contact our Customer Support Team. If, having spoken to a member of the team, your query or complaint is not resolved, you can ask for the matter to be escalated to a manager or supervisor. Our manager/supervisor will look into your query/complaint in more detail and contact you back with a resolution within 24 hours. You will be given the name and status of the person to whom your query/complaint has been referred.
Any dispute or difference that arises out of or in connection with the Contract shall be determined by the Independent Betting Adjudication Service (IBAS) whose ruling shall be binding. If, notwithstanding the above, the customer issues Court proceedings, Ladbrokes reserve the right to apply to stay those proceedings pending determination by the IBAS. If the customer fails or refuses to follow the ruling of the IBAS, the customer will reimburse all resulting expenses (including court fees) incurred by Ladbrokes.
An Each Way bet is made up of 2 parts: the ‘Win' and the ‘Place'.
Each part is an equal stake, e.g. a £1 Each Way bet will have £1 on the ‘Win' and £1 on the ‘Place' (a total stake of £2).
The ‘Win' part of your bet is on your selection to win the event, and the ‘Place' part is on your selection to finish either first or in one of the pre-determined places.
If your selection wins, both the ‘Win' and ‘Place' parts of your bet will pay out. But if your selection only places, you will lose the ‘Win' part of your bet (and lose that part of the stake) but get paid out on the ‘Place'.
The odds for the ‘Place' are given as a fraction of the odds for the ‘Win' and will be displayed to you when you place your bet.
Each-Way betting is most common in horse and greyhound racing, and is also usually available in other sports e.g. Football or Golf tournaments.
For Horse and Greyhound Racing, unless otherwise stated the ‘Place' part of Each Way bets will be given the following Place terms:
- 2 - 4 Runners Win Only
- 5 - 7 Runners 1/4 the Odds 1, 2
- 8 or more Runners 1/5 the Odds 1, 2, 3
- 2 - 4 Runners Win Only
- 5 - 7 Runners 1/4 the Odds 1, 2
- 8 - 11 Runners 1/5 the Odds 1, 2, 3
- 12 - 15 Runners 1/4 the Odds 1, 2, 3
- 16 or more Runners 1/4 the Odds 1, 2, 3, 4
In other cases, including Horse Racing Ante Post, selected ‘feature’ Horse and Greyhound races, Football and Sports betting events, the Each Way ‘Place’ terms will be as advertised at the time the bet was placed.
Things to Consider
Please Note: Non-runners in a race can affect the Each-Way terms of your bet.
For example, if your bet is placed in an 8 runner race, and a horse later withdraws reducing the field to 7, the each-way terms will change from 1/5 odds first 3 places to 1/4 odds on the first 2 places only. Similarly, if a race is reduced from 5 runners to 4, the place terms will change from 1/4 odds for the first 2 places, to 'Win only'.
Enhanced Prices for Multiple Bets
Unless otherwise stated (onsite and/or within specific marketing) where special multiples are available (ie: Doubles, Trebles and upwards) the following rules will apply:
- Win bets only are accepted. Any Each Way bets taken in error will be settled to win.
- If any of the featured horses and greyhounds are non-runners all bets will be settled on the remaining selections at Starting Price (SP) unless it was an Ante Post bet on an all-in run or not basis then the bet will be a loser.
- For greyhounds If any non-runners or reserves are involved in the selected races, all bets placed prior to non runner will be settled at SP.
Football and All Other Sports
- Unless otherwise stated (onsite and/or within specific marketing), in the instance where one selection of an enhanced/price boosted multiple does not take place/participate or start (e.g. match abandoned) the bet will be voided and stakes returned to your account.
Ladbrokes make every effort to ensure that we do not make errors in accepting bets. However, if as a result of human error or system problems a bet is accepted at a price (which includes the odds, handicap provisions, and other terms and conditions or details of the bet) that is:
- materially different from those available in the general market at the time the bet was made; or
- clearly incorrect given the chance of the event occurring at the time the bet was made
After this, Ladbrokes will pay winnings at the correct price.
Where an incorrect handicap is displayed as a result of a technical or manual inputting error, we reserve the right to settle any affected bets at corrected odds to reflect those odds that would have been available had the incorrect handicap line been offered knowingly.
To establish the correct price Ladbrokes will consider prices available in the general market at the time the bet was made, including the prices offered by William Hill, Betfred, Bet Victor, Paddy Power and Bet365.
Examples of circumstances where this would apply are:
- the price is recorded as 100-1 when the price on offer in the general market is 10-1
- the margins for handicap betting have been reversed
If a bet is accepted in error by Ladbrokes on an event or outcome for which no Ladbrokes prices are available the bet will be void and your stake returned.
Any results, clocks or scores displayed on the site - for example during betting in play - are for guidance purposes only, and although we make every effort to ensure that this information is accurate, Ladbrokes accepts no liability should the displayed information be listed incorrectly.
Ladbrokes will seek criminal and contractual sanctions against any customer involved in fraud, dishonesty or criminal acts. Ladbrokes will withhold payment to any customer where any of these are suspected.
The customer shall indemnify and shall be liable to pay to Ladbrokes, on demand, all costs, charges or losses sustained or incurred by Ladbrokes (including any direct, indirect or consequential losses, loss of profit and loss of reputation) arising directly or indirectly from the customer’s fraud, dishonesty or criminal act.
The maximum daily payouts on any bet, or bets, including Ante Post, are as detailed below. The maximum payout limits apply to individual events. The limits below refer to the total return on the bet, excluding the original stake. If a multiple bet has been placed which involves events with different maximum payout limits, the lowest limit will apply.
All maximum payout limits apply to any one customer, or group of customers acting together, who have backed the same combination of selections, including where placed in a series of bets, at a range of prices, over a number of days using different betting accounts and/or across different betting channels. Should we have reason to believe that a number of bets have been placed this way, the total payment of all those bets combined will be limited to one single maximum payout.
Ladbrokes shall not be liable for any loss of profits, loss of anticipated savings, loss of goods, or any special, indirect, consequential or pure economic loss, costs, damages, charges or expenses.
Throughout these rules, ‘Full Service’ refers to horse and greyhound races for which full details (shows of betting, official off times and results) are broadcast to Ladbrokes and viewable in our shops by satellite and terrestrial media..
|Tote bets entered into the Tote On-Course Pool||Unlimited|
|Racing in UK and Ireland (final field) placed after 9am on the day of the race & Ante-Post bets||£1,000,000|
|Racing in UK and Ireland (final field) placed prior to 9am on day of race||£250,000|
|Racing in France, Dubai, South Africa, USA, Canada, Hong Kong & International Ante-Post bets||£250,000|
|Racing in all other countries covered in our Full Service||£100,000|
|Any UK and Ireland bet placed on an SSBT, including UK & Ireland Ante-Post||£100,000|
|Any International bet placed on an SSBT, including International Ante-Post||£100,000|
|Racing not covered in our Full Service either in UK and Ireland or abroad
|All specials and derivative markets (eg. Winning Distances, Betting Without, Top X finish markets)
|Tote bets not entered into the Tote On-Course Pool at all meetings covered in the Full SIS Service||£25,000|
|Tote bets not entered into the Tote On-Course Pool at meetings not covered in the Full SIS Service||£25,000|
Please note: In the event of a multiple bet which includes selections with different overall Maximum payouts, the lowest Maximum payout applies (for example a bet covering racing in UK, Dubai and India would have a max payout of £100k as that is the lowest of £500k, £250k and £100k)
|Tote bets entered into the Tote On-Course Pool||Unlimited|
|Ante Post and any race covered in our Full Service||£50,000|
|Races not covered in our Full Service from Belle Vue, Crayford, Hall Green, Hove, Monmore, Newcastle, Nottingham, Perry Barr, Romford, Shawfield, Sheffield, Sunderland, Swindon, Towcester and Wimbledon||£50,000|
|Open racing at any GBGB track||£25,000|
|Greyhound racing outside of the UK||£25,000|
|Tote bets not entered into the Tote On-Course Pool at all meetings covered in the Full SIS Service||£10,000|
Bets on graded races at meetings not listed above will be void.
|Leagues & Competitions||Match Result (90 Minutes), To Qualify, Outright Winner, Cup Winner, Tournament Winner, +/- Total Goals, HT/FT, Match Handicaps, Correct Score, First/Last/Anytime Goalscorers, Wincast, Scorecast, MR&BTTS & BTTS||All other match markets - including but not exclusive to: Bookings, Cards, Goals, Draw No Bet, Other Goalscorers||Other Ante-Post/long-term - including but not excusive to: Finish Bottom, Top 3, Relegation, Promotion, Match Bets, Group Betting||All other markets (including all markets which are decided off the field of play e.g. Manager Markets)|
|Men's Full Internationals, Premier League, Championship, League 1, League 2, FA Cup (1st Round onwards), Ligue 1, Bundesliga, Serie A, Scottish Premier League, La Liga, UEFA Champions League & UEFA Europa League (both group stages onwards)||£1,000,000||£250,000||£100,000||£10,000|
|EFL Cup, English National League, Scottish Championship, Scottish League 1, Scottish League 2, Scottish Cup (2nd Round onwards) Scottish League Cup, Eredivisie, A-League, Swedish Allsvenskan & Portuguese Primeira Liga.||£500,000||£100,000||£50,000||£10,000|
|Segunda Division, Serie B, Bundesliga II, Ligue 2, Danish Superliga, Finnish Veikkausliiga, Norwegian 1. Division, Swedish Supperettan, Turkish Super League Belgian Pro League, Norwegian Eliteserien & Danish Ligaen 1||£250,000||£100,000||£50,000||£10,000|
|For all other Football competitions unless otherwise stated on promotional material or #GetAPrice markets||£100,000|
|Specials, Build A Bet, #YourCall, #GetAPrice markets on any single event listed above||£25,000|
|Golf Majors and Ryder Cup||£500,000|
|All Other Golf, Tennis Grand Slams (Main Singles Draw), NFL, NBA & NHL||£250,000|
|ATP Tennis & Grand Slams excluding Main Singles Draw, All Hockey excluding Field Hockey, Basketball (European), Boxing, Cricket, Darts & GAA (except Club GAA)||£100,000|
|Badminton, Beach Volleyball, eSports & Handball||£50,000|
|Tennis qualifiers & ITF/Challenger events, Athletics, Cycling, Club GAA, Rugby League, Rugby Union, Snooker & #GetAPrice markets on any single event listed above||£25,000|
|Field Hockey, Bandy, Bowls, Chess, Floorball, Skiing & All Other Sports unless otherwise stated on promotional material or #GetAPrice markets||£10,000|
Non Sports Betting
|Irish Lotto and 49’s||£1,000,000|
|All Other Lotto Betting||£250,000|
|Virtual Racing and Virtual Sports||£250,000|
|Politics: UK General Election and US Presidential Elections||£100,000|
|eSports (including eSoccer)||£50,000|
|All other non sports events, unless exceptions apply||£10,000|
For any cancelled or postponed match, any bets struck prior to the scheduled kick-off will be void. All bets stand on any match that is delayed prior to the scheduled kick-off time and takes place on the same day (local time). The only exceptions are matches that take place within a fixed date tournament framework eg Olympic Games, Tennis Tournaments, European Championships Finals, World Cup Finals etc then bets will stand (does not apply to non-tennis qualifying matches taking place outside of the fixed date tournament framework). See Individual Sport rules for superseding rules relevant to those sports.
All prices are subject to change and may, on occasion, be restricted to certain stake levels. The prices offered via our different business channels may vary. For example, our shops or on-course betting facilities, may offer slightly different prices from those available at our Call Centre or on our Website/Mobile Sites.
We will always endeavour to ensure that the process of placing your bet is as quick and simple as possible.
In some instances, where prices may be changing rapidly - e.g. in-play sports betting - the price of your selection may change between the moment you place your bet and the time at which your receive confirmation that the bet has been placed, the following scenarios apply:
If the price of your selection decreases - e.g. from 6/4 into 5/4 - your bet will not be placed and you will be presented with the option to place your bet at the new price.
If the price of your selection increases - e.g. from 2/1 to 5/2 - your bet will not be placed and you will be presented with the option to place your bet at the new price.
All bets placed on UK and Irish horse racing will be settled on First Past the Post AND the official result.
- First Past the Post: The immediate result after the race has been completed (see Exceptions below)
- Official Result: Announced at the "weigh-in" on the day, after any Steward's Enquiries and/or objections have been considered. If a winner is disqualified after the official result is announced, the disqualification will not affect the settlement of bets.
The exceptions where First Past the Post does not apply and bets are only settled according to the official result are:
- A selection taking the wrong course
- A selection carrying the wrong weight or the jockey failing to weigh-in
- Any Ante Post bet
- A Forecast or Tricast bet
- A void race
- Any Tote/Pari-Mutuel bet
- A selection given as the winner in error by the judge
- A bet placed on a two-runner race or a special match bet
- A bet placed in a “without the favourite” or any other special market
- Aintree Grand National
- Any bet placed at the rails on a racecourse
- We pay FPP on UK & Irish racing ONLY - Horse racing bets placed on non-UK/Irish meetings are settled on the official result declared by the racecourse judge and confirmed by the ‘Weighed-In’ announcement. If a winner is disqualified after the official result is announced, the disqualification will not affect the settlement of bets.
Things to Consider
- This offer applies to winning single and multiple bets and the win part of Each-Way bets. There is no restriction on staking, and payouts are subject to our advertised Maximum Payout Limits.
- In the event of a double result, payout on the horse that was first past the post may be subject to a small delay while we process your winnings. The funds will be credited to your account as a manual adjustment.
In the case of Greyhound racing, bets are settled on the official result announced at the conclusion of the event. If a winner is disqualified after the official result is announced, the disqualification will not affect the settlement of bets.
In the case of Football and other Sports, bets are settled on the first result published by the official source/governing body or alternatively the official website of the relevant event, immediately after the match/event is finished. Any subsequent corrections or amendments to this result will not apply for settlement purposes.
If the result is not immediately available from the official source/governing body or the official website of the relevant event, or there is significant evidence that the official source/governing body or official website is incorrect, we will use independent sources such as Press Association to decide settlement.
In the absence of any consistent, independent evidence or in the presence of significant conflicting evidence, bets will be settled based on our own statistics.
We will sometimes offer special betting opportunities, for which the rules are not covered specifically in these Rules. In these instances, we will display the additional terms/rules in the text description that relates to the opportunity on the website, and bets will be settled accordingly.
Fixed Price Enhanced Multiple Bets
- An enhanced multiple bet is a win single only selection at a fixed price.
- In the event of a Dead Heat, selections will be settled as an SP (starting price)/ Standard Price accumulative bet with Dead Heat rules applied.
- All bets are struck at selection level e.g. Enhanced Jockey Multiples: in the instance a different jockey is declared to ride, the bet will stand on the horses selected not the Jockey.
- Horse Racing enhanced multiple bets - If a different jockey is declared to ride, the bet will stand on the horses selected.
- Where an enhanced multiple has selections affected by the withdrawal of another selection/s in a Racing market, selections may be settled as an SP (starting price) accumulative bet and a rule 4 deduction may be applied. (standard rule 4 deductions apply)
- Football enhanced multiple bets apply to 90 minutes only i.e. never include extra time.
- US Sports enhanced multiple bets Overtime and extra innings count.
- Standard trading rules will be applied to all variants/markets within the enhanced multiple.
If a selection in a single bet is made void the stake will be returned.
Void selections in multiple/accumulator bets will be treated as non-runners and the stake will run onto the remaining selections in the bet.
Withholding payment and our right to set off liability
We reserve the right to withhold payment and to declare bets on an event void if we have evidence that the following has occurred:
- the integrity of the event has been called into question
- the price(s) or pool has been manipulated
- match rigging has taken place
Evidence of the above may be based on the size, volume or pattern of bets placed with us across any or all of our betting channels. A decision given by the relevant governing body of the sport in question (if any) will be conclusive. If any customer owes any money to Ladbrokes for any reason, we have the right to take that into account before making any payments to that customer.